1. Fireflies – Unlike California, those sparks flying through the evening sky aren’t a threat to light the chaparral or tumbleweeds on fire.
2. Morning Dew – In California, morning dew is associated with the cool air coming off the Pacific Ocean. In East Texas, this morning dew has nothing to do with the cool air coming off the Pacific Ocean, and can exist at 80 degrees or more.
3. Overcast Morning Skies – Kinda like June Gloom, but again, at 80 degrees or more. Also, without those mountains, finds it’s way 250 miles inland.
4. Ya’ll – When “you guys” get replaced by “ya’ll” it takes a bit of time getting used to.
5. BBQ Brisket Tacos – Yes, there can be a better taco, and I found it in East Texas. If this post gets to 50 comments, I will let “ya’ll” know where you can get them at.
6. Wasps – Yes, California has wasps, but it seems that these little guys join us just about every time we are barbequing (so cliché) outside in East Texas. If you have ever been stung by one, you would have a proper respect and understanding of these creatures.
7. Rain Only Associated with Lightning and Thunder – In California, it generally rains without lightning and thunder. In East Texas, I’m pretty sure that never happens. Oh, and when it rains, it’s likely to drop 2 inches in less than an hour.
8. Cheaper Gas – You understand that gas will be cheaper in Texas than in California. What you may not realize is that gas in East Texas is generally cheaper than the rest of Texas.
9. Turtles – Let’s just say, they’re everywhere.
10. The Trashman – Probably the best of all, the trashman will get out of his truck and pick up the garbage I place outside of the overflowing can.